Tuesday, October 25, 2016

To Lay Down My Life | 1 John 3:11-24 Meditations


1 John 3:11-24
11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.


I don't think I've ever had to place my life in jeopardy for the sake of anyone else.
Thankful for that fact, definitely.

But, how am I supposed to "lay down my life for the brethren (paraphrased part of 1 John 3:16)"?
What does that mean?

I was meditating on this a while back and came across the definition of the word psychē (the Greek word for life in 1 John 3:16).

Not only does life encompass the physical life, but also the soul, which includes "the seat of the feelings, desires, affections, aversions (our heart, soul etc.)."

Feelings.

Desires.

Affections.

Aversions.

This is "life"? Jesus is calling me to lay those down for the brethren?

Then again, what has He done for me?
He laid down His life. His feelings. His desires. His affections. His aversions.

Absurd.

Is that really how much He loves me?

Yes, yes indeed.

And He's called me to do the same.

Absurd.

Only possible with Him.

A couple days ago, I was finally settling down to study. Finally!
It had so happened that I was cooking dinner that day, and we had all just finished eating. A very kind person was already cleaning up the kitchen, and ventured to ask for a little help with clearing tables.

You must know that there was also an anonymous person sitting and studying beside me, who, take note, did not prepare dinner. However, Anonymous had the nerve to strongly suggest/ask/command me to go clear the table!

That is absurd, my friends.

People who have already "done their duty" by preparing meals ought not to be required to be on KP duty!

Nevertheless, because of the holiness and righteousness possessed by yours truly, off the kitchen I went. Fuming with "righteous indignation", I probably had enough passion to kick start a campaign for the non-existent Association for the Just Treatment of the Righteous.


Ahem.


"Come into My presence now."

That still small "feeling". It had to come again!

"Love as I have loved."

Well... It was probably a good thing that "feeling" is there, though. I knew it was right, but oh! Do you know how hard it is to lay down your life?

Feelings, desires, affections, aversions, all!

But I want! I want to have a right to peaceful, undisturbed study! I want to have a right to seethe about Anonymous! I want to have a right to anger!

Finally, though, I gave in.

"Lord, I come in Your presence. I choose joy and peace in You."

It really is a choice to lay down my life.
Satan tries so hard to deceive me that no, it's not a choice. Just being victimized by circumstances. It just happens, you know?

However, praise God Who has made me His! For He that is in me is greater than he that is in the world. He has already won the victory. And He works in me.

When at length I decided to go into His presence, He had fullness of joy and rest there for me (Psalm 16:11, Matt. 11:28).

Why He invites His unruly, infuriated children to dwell in His presence, I don't know.

That is love.

In Hebrews 12, it exhorts us to look to Jesus, "who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

'For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds."

After all, what's the big deal? It's just clearing tables, after all.

He laid down His life for me.

Should I do any less?



Thoughts, Notes, Lists, and such. Disclaimer somewhere in here.

Attributes of the Father:
  • Has love
  • Greater than our heart
  • Knows all things
  • Can be pleased
  • Has commandment
  • Gave us His Spirit
Attributes of the Son:
  • Laid down life
  • We should believe on Him

Cross-References:
vs 12/15 --> Matt. 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
vs 13 --> John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
vs 13 --> Matt. 24:4-14 [Too long to put here:)]
vs 16 --> Luke 10:26-37 [Too long to put here, too:) This is the answer of the question "Who is my neighbor?", which is similar to asking "Who is my brother" of 1 John 3:16.]
vs 16 --> John 15:13  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
vs 19 --> 2 Tim. 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
vs 22 --> Heb. 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Thoughts

1 John 3:23 outlines His commandment: To believe on the name of His Son + love one another.

I know that believing on the name of the Son results in salvation (John 1:12) - what glorious news - but as a Christian, what further implications does it have to my behavior?

Pisteuō denotes having faith in, entrusting. Am I entrusting myself to God every daily, every hour, even every minute?
My physical welfare? Spiritual? Emotional? My past? My present? My future? Myself? My surroundings?

Paul was not afraid of suffering, because he knew Whom he believed.
He was peithō, he was assured/persuaded/convinced that "He is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." (2 Tim. 1:12)

Do I know Whom I have believed?
Am I peithō?

He says that without pistis it is impossible to please Him.
Do I do those things that are pleasing in His sight?
Do I have confidence toward Him?
Do I have faith in Him? Constant faith?


Mini Study - Pleasing to God

What is pleasing to God?
  • "To make you His people" (1 Sam. 12:22)
  • That Solomon asked for an understanding heart (1 Kings 3:10)
  • Uprightness (1 Chro. 29:17)
  • The prosperity of His servant (Psalm 35:27)
  • Sacrifices of praise - "the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His name" (Heb. 13:15)
  • Children obeying parents (Col. 3:20)
  • To give us the kingdom (Luke 12:32)
  • To "by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe" (1 Cor. 1:21)
  • That all fullness should dwell in Jesus (Col. 1:19)
Who pleases God?
  • Those who fear Him (Psalm 147:11)
  • Those who hope in His mercy (Psalm 147:11)
  • His people (Psalm 149:4)
  • Jesus (John 8:29)
  • Enoch (Heb. 11:5)
Who/what cannot please God?
  • Wickedness (Psalm 5:4)
  • Those who are in the flesh (Rom. 8:8)
  • Those who "both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us" (1 Thes. 2:15)
  • Those who entangle themselves with the affairs of this life (1 Tim. 2:4)
  • Those without faith (Heb. 11:5)
Benefits of pleasing God
  • Our enemies will be at peace with us (Pro. 16:7)
  • We will prove the good, acceptable, and perfect will of God (Rom. 12:1-2)
Notes: God has revealed what is pleasing to Him through His Word (1 Thes. 4:1, also CR Deut. 12:28)! 
In 1 John 3:22, the Greek word for pleasing is arestos, meaning pleasing/agreeable. 


To do those things that are pleasing in His sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment