Thursday, October 20, 2016

Child of God | 1 John 3:1-10 Meditations

"How we see ourselves determines how we conduct ourselves. 
This is why Satan attacks Christians at the level of their identities." 
- David and Jason Benham

1 John 3:1-10
1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.


I remember when I first started to hear messages on finding one's identity in Christ.

"Identity? What's that?" I had thought to myself.

Granted, this was quite a while back, but I could hardly understand what it meant, much less how it applied to me.

One could "identify" one's self as many different things - an achiever of a particular educational status, a partaker (sorry, been reading too much old-er English :P) of a special familial heritage, a completer of many tasks, etc.

However, if I place my identity in things that can change, my identity is subject to change as well. Only when I recognize that who I am is determined by Christ can I have assurance.

This isn't a one time thing, though! It's definitely been something I've been struggling with a lot recently.

Over the past couple days, this thing called a to do list commanded my respect. It seemed to have titled itself "Mission Insurmountable" - you know, the un-do-able list of to do's.

I tried very hard to complete that pile of tasks, and one by one they would be checked off (or colored in, in my case - that way it's a whole lot easier to see progress at a glance). But as soon as they were almost done, the day would end. Then the sun would rise again, and bring a fresh and untouched sheet of to do's with it. When that list would be almost done, down went the sun again.

How terribly frustrating!

And then I started meditating on this passage.

"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God!" (1 John 3:1a)

Shortly after that verse came verse 3 - And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

What hope? Hope purifies? How? I honestly didn't know, but I figured that verse 2 must contain that "hope", so verse 2 went on a piece of paper and into my pocket.

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is."

What powerful truth! When He appears, I'll be like Him, for I'll see Him as He is.

Seeing Him as He is.

Because when I see Him as He is, I will see myself as who I really am.
My true identity in Him.

And that's where my struggles lie so often. Like those past couple days of fighting mountains filled with the daily grind.

God started to convict me of what I was placing my identity in. I was both astounded and ashamed when I realized I was measuring my worth in direct proportion to amount of completed vs. not completed to do list items.

And that translated to exasperation and discouragement. I tried so hard to "do more" the next day, but inevitably I was needed to lend a hand or extra projects would come up. So when it was supposedly time to review my Bible Bee verses that were already steadily disappearing from my memory, I was busy re-memorizing the already forgotten passages that were supposed to be re-memorized earlier that day.

Then everything would be pushed back, and then I end up with this terrible feeling of condemnation at the end of the day.

But what does He say?

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus. (Rom. 8:1a, emphasis added)"

IN Him there is NO condemnation! Because with the hope that I'll see Him as He is, I'll be purified. I'll know who I am.

My identity - found in Him. Not in piece of paper holding the to do list of the day.

In Him, I am beloved.

If not everything gets done, so what? Even if the world does come crashing down because of a couple unfinished items, what is there to fear?

I am His child.

He loves His children. 




Thoughts, Notes, Lists, and such. Disclaimer somewhere in here.


Attributes of the Father:
  • Has love
  • Has sons/children
  • The world does not know him
  • Shall appear
  • Those who are born of Him cannot sin
Attributes of the Son:
  • Manifested to take away our sins
  • Has no sin
  • Righteous
  • Manifested to destroy the works of the devil

Cross-References:
vs 3 --> 2 Cor. 6:17-7:1  Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 
vs 7 --> Jer. 33:16 In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness.
vs 7 --> Isa. 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.
vs 7 --> Rev. 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
vs 7 --> Heb. 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.


Mini Study - As the Sons of God 

A note for all the BB people out there: I was wondering why the BB passages had so many verses (alright... there's not that many, but still a number) on how God corrects His children. I couldn't see its relation to 1 John until I was meditating on this passage - as the sons of God, He chastens us as our Father! (I'm sure most of y'all already knew that, though... :P)

Anyway, here's a list of verses in BB passages that deal with sons/children of God (1 John passages excluded).
(Primary, Junior, and Senior are age divisions of the National Bible Bee)

        Primary Verses

Psalm 78:4-6
We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done. For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children: That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:

Matthew 5:44-45
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

John 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Romans 8:16-17
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.


        Junior Verses

Luke 6:35
But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

John 12:36
While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.

Romans 8:14-21
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Ephesians 1:5
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Hebrews 2:14
Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;


        Senior Verses

Deuteronomy 32:5-6
They have corrupted themselves, their spot is not the spot of his children: they are a perverse and crooked generation. Do ye thus requite the Lord, O foolish people and unwise? is not he thy father that hath bought thee? hath he not made thee, and established thee?

Psalm 45:2
Thou art fairer than the children of men: grace is poured into thy lips: therefore God hath blessed thee for ever.
Proverbs 3:1-18
My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee. Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones. Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine. My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord; neither be weary of his correction: For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth. Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her. Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.

Ephesians 5:1-2
Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

Hebrews 12:5-11
And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

1 Peter 1:14
As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

Thoughts

2 Corinthians 6:17-7:1 is a beautiful cross-reference to 1 John 3:2-3. One thing that has been so helpful to me is to write the three points of 2 Cor. 6:17-7:1 (at least when I first read it I only found three... 1. God will receive me 2. God is my Father 3. I am His daughter) and put it in my pocket. Whenever distractions (the more specific these are, the better - for me it was checking my email) would come, I'd remind myself of these three points. 
It's amazing what God can do!

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. (2 Cor. 6:17-7:1)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for all your posts on 1 John! It's been really encouraging and such a blessing to hear your thoughts! I keep getting so caught up in studying what the book says, that I forget to learn what it means and apply it! Your posts really help me keep my focus on Him! I hope to meet you at Nationals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise the Lord! Thank you so much your encouragement!
      Yes! Hope to meet you at Nationals, too! So excited:)
      Keep up the good work and let's look to Jesus together!

      Delete
  2. Peace, I know I've said this before, but you have no idea how much these have blessed my heart. <3 They're so wonderful. I needed that one today. I've studied the "there is no condemnation thing" but for some reason, it always seems to be slipping from my mind as the unconquerable to-do list again takes up all my thoughts. But I liked that reminder; that we are the sons of God and our identity is found in HIM, not in our schedule. Oh, how encouraging to remember. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, my dear friend! Your words have been such a precious treasure as I seek to study the Lord more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "there is no condemnation thing" - that was actually from one of your posts from the Encouraging Notes project! I read it and was so encouraged and also very challenged. So that's what really got me thinking about it!

      It's such a beautiful thing that God ordained to have the body of Christ edifying itself! Thank you for the encouragement! Keep seeking HIM!

      Delete