Thursday, October 6, 2016

My Advocate | 1 John 2:1-14 Meditations



1 John 2:1-14
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And hereby w
e do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.
11 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.
12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

It seems like I feels like I fail most miserably when I expect it to turn out the best. Kind of like Proverbs 16:18. And kind of like a few days ago. 

I was reading 1 John 2:1, and this incredible thought dawned on me that if "these things" were really written that we sin not (and they are), then "these things", which are God's Word, keeps us from sin (CR Psalm 119:11).
That's amazing. 

"Ha! Perfect!" I continued thinking, "I know exactly what application step I could take - I'll just stop sinning! To be more specific, I'll, well... how should I say this... be nicer to certain people who also happen to be related to me. Since God's Word keeps me from sin, I'll just recite 1 John 2:1 to myself to next time I'm tempted to get angry at the aforementioned individuals. 

'Then I just won't sin anymore! That'd be wonderful. And the following verses in 1 John 2 about Jesus being my Advocate and the Propitiation for my sins - that's great! However, that's only for when I sin, but of course I won't, so I don't really need that part."
In essence, I was thinking I could free myself from sin - without Jesus. 

Crazy what I think sometimes. Much like Genesis 6:5 - And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Yep.

Long story a bit shorter, it couldn't have been more than a few minutes after the above thoughts when I was sitting in the couch, reading my memory verses. Suddenly, a rubber band, with great determination, flew off into the air from a pair of hands and chose my chin as its favored target.

Exaggerated narration above. Truthfully, I think my brother was just playing with rubber bands and it was probably an accident that I happened to be in the way.

But of course I only had time for the exaggerated version, and I really wanted to lecture the little guy. How dare he intrude upon my precious study time in such a way?

Then, I had to remember my previously set application step. I soon realized, though, that 1 John 2:1 had long escaped my memory. Whatever. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I did get angry at my brother and gave him quite the scolding.

It was for such a little thing.
Conviction did come without fail, though, and I had to go back and ask for his forgiveness.

The next day I started to begin to see what a horrible sinner I was. I couldn't believe how incredibly terrible I was to my family. Just being "nicer", like I had decided the day before, obviously was not going to work.

After God really humbled me through more incidents like the previously described one, I decided I had to get back into fellowship with Him - and my family. It's painful living on one's own strength.

So I confessed my sin to Him. Finally! How wonderful that God is always, always faithful and true. I always have an Advocate with the Father. His name is Jesus Christ the Righteous. He is the Propitiation for my sin and the sins of the whole world. For His name's sake my sins are forgiven me.

What joy!

I am so thankful for His forgiveness. And thankful for the forgiveness of my family. What magnanimous people God surrounded me with! How wonderful it is to walk in the light, in fellowship with Him and fellow believers.
What a beautiful thing it is to have an Advocate.

On another note, it is starting to make sense why verses 9-11 are in 1 John 2:1-14. :)



Thoughts, Notes, Lists, and such. Disclaimer somewhere in here.

Attributes of the Father:
  • Jesus is our Advocate with Him
  • Has love
  • Can be known
  • Has Word
Attributes of the Son:
  • Our Advocate
  • Righteous
  • The Propitiation for our sins
  • The Propitiation for the sins of the whole world
  • Has commandments
  • We can be in Him
  • Is our example on how to walk
  • Our sins are forgiven us for His name's sake
  • From the beginning
  • Can be known

Cross-References:
vs 1 --> John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you
vs 1 --> Psalm 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
vs 2 --> 1 Pet. 2:24  Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
vs 5 --> John 14:15  If ye love me, keep my commandments.
vs 6 --> John 13:15  For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
vs 8 --> Isa. 9:2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined. 
vs 11 --> 2 Cor. 4:4  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

The Word of God
  • Keeps us from sin (vs 1)
  • Makes us know that we know Him (vs 2)
  • Perfects the love of God in us (vs 5)
    • By the above, we know that we are in Him (vs 5)
  • Is from the beginning (vs 7)
  • Is true (vs 8)
"I Write unto You" (vs 1, 12-14)

Little Children - that you sin not
Little Children - because your sins are forgiven you for His name's sake
Fathers - because you have known him that is from the beginning
Young Men - because you have overcome the wicked one
Little Children - because you have known the Father
Fathers - because you have known him that is from the beginning
Young Men -  because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the wicked one

Mini Study - Walking as He Walked
Note: While none of those studies are meant to be exhaustive, this one barely even scratches the surface of the rich treasures of God's Word. This is such an incredible topic, and I'm sure that there are so, so much more to be found as we continue in Him:)

Walk (1 John 2:6) Gr. peripateĊ
 1. to walk
    A. to make one's way, progress; to make due use of opportunities
    B. Hebrew for, to live
        i. to regulate one's life
        ii. to conduct one's self
        iii. to pass one's life
Definition above taken from Outline of Biblical Usage

How did Jesus walk?
  • Humbly serving us (John 13:1-17)
  • Having been raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, in newness of life (Rom. 6:4)
  • Loving us (Eph. 5:2)
  • Giving Himself for us as an offering (Eph. 5:2)
  • Giving Himself to God for a sweet-smelling savor (Eph. 5:2)
  • Suffering for us (1 Pet. 2:21)
  • In the light (1 John 1:7)

What happens when we walk as He walked?
  • We find rest (Matt. 11:29)
  • We will be happy (John 13:17)
  • We have fellowship one with another (1 John 1:7)
  • Jesus' blood cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment