Thursday, September 10, 2015

Lessons in a Sunday School Classroom

I'll admit it. Though I knew I was scheduled to teach Sunday School, I definitely did not have adequate preparation. Worse, I was exhausted - spiritually, emotionally, and physically. As I stood there at church during worship, I knew I was in no shape to teach these nursery-aged kids. "God," I silently cried out, "help me."

Meanwhile, I was racking my head for ideas on how to fill the time later that day. There was the Bible lesson, where I had even forgotten the Scripture reference to, the snack, the craft... "The craft!" I gasped to myself, "Where was it?" Was it already in the classroom, or had I left it had home? (I told you I was exhausted!)

Just as I was about to dash out of the sanctuary into the classroom to check the whereabouts of the craft, I felt the prompting of the Holy Spirit again. "Just stay here and worship me. I'll take care of the rest." So, I just stood there as time continued to tick by. All too soon, worship came to an end - which meant it was time for the children's Sunday School.

As I followed the throng of children to the classrooms, I told God something along the lines of, "I'm still exhausted and not any more enthusiastic than I started out. What should I do now?"  His gentle voice replied, "You don't have to feel enthusiastic to be enthusiastic. Enthusiasm = I in you. I am in you. Just believe." "Alright," I answered, nearing the door of the classroom.

The first thing I did was glance around to see if I could locate the craft. Lo and behold, there it was, sitting on the corner of the table.  I let out a sigh of relief as I thanked God, my spirits much higher.

Quickly, we started the first activity.Then amazing things started happening. I was about to go into the Bible lesson when God gave me the perfect object lesson to transition from the first activity to the Bible lesson. And it was age-appropriate! It's not every day that I find an object lesson that two to four year olds understand and enjoy!

I was stunned. After all, it was my fault that I didn't have enough planning. But God, in His great mercy, was still willing to help me. The rest of the time was incredible. The children were attentive and I almost felt like a spectator watching God's goodness unfold. When craft time rolled around, I breathed another prayer of thanks.

P.S. Would you pray for me as I prepare for next week's lesson? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment