Wednesday, November 9, 2016

We Are of God | 1 John 5:13-21 Meditations


1 John 5:13-21
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.


It's almost Nationals.

That thought sends me a wave of sudden panic with glimmers of excitement dissolved therein.
Why am I panicking? Why? What is the reason I am doing the Bible Bee anyway?
Of course there is the right answer. To know God. To know Him more deeply.
But why then am I panicking?

I know the last post was about this, but then sometimes God brings to my attention that I'm not as awesome as I think I am. In other words, some lessons need to be learned everyday.
Such is the case with this one.

While I was looking up cross-references for verse 21, I came across Psalm 115, which describes how idols of silver and gold, although possessing eyes, ears, mouths, noses, and the like, cannot see, hear, speak, smell, and the like (which I'm just realizing is also a great CR for 1 John 1:1-3...).
"They that make them are like unto them;" it continues, "so is every one that trusteth in them."

Well, that's a great passage, but to my knowledge, I've never had idols made of silver and gold! That is just plain superstitious and weird.

But immediately, God convicted me of a different category of silver and gold idols than I had in mind.
It was almost as if He were asking me again, "What is your heart set on for the Bible Bee competition this year? 1st place? 2nd? Semis? Good scores? Perfect orals?"

Wow. Ahem. That was convicting.

Especially since I'd thought that I'd dealt it with all those "treasures" and everything was good.

"Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen." That's what the last verse in 1 John says.

But to keep myself from idols means that I'm kept somewhere else. And that place is in Him (1 John 5:20).

He calls me to believe in the true God. To believe in the name of the Son of God (1 John 5:13).

In Revelation 22:4, it says of the servants of God in heaven that "[God's] name shall be in their foreheads."
Quite obviously, I'm not in heaven yet.
However, while I'm here on earth, why shouldn't His Name be in my forehead, in the forefront of my thoughts?
So I decided I'd start by simply praising His Name whenever I passed by a certain place.

It was a great reminder to myself of Who God is and where my trust should be in. But God also used that to speak to me. He is my Sustainer. He is my Lord. And He, at that time, wanted me to assist with the high calling of preparing nourishment for body (a.k.a. preparing meals).

"But, I was just finally going to get to work on my verse cards!"

You can't argue with God. Besides, He does everything for my good, anyways. So, I spent the next couple minutes dicing tomatoes and all the other activities associated with making salsa. Thankfully, it didn't take all that long, and I was soon back working on my passages. It was really such a little thing, and I didn't think it would be much help (salsa can only fill so much of one's stomach, you know). Later, though, the supposed-to-cook-person told me how tired she was and how it was blessing for the salsa to be already made.
It was such an encouragement for me to know that God is so great, and that He can use the smallest things for His glory.

And as He draws me to Him, He keeps me away from idols.
But is perfection attained yet?
Absolutely not!

How wonderful it is, though, to know that "we are of God" and can say with Philippians 1:6 that we are "...confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:"



This is the last post for the 1 John Meditations! 
I've learned so much through this. Thank you all so much for bearing with me and leaving encouraging notes here! The thoughts, notes, lists, and such are below. Disclaimer's still somewhere in here.


Attributes of the Father:
  • True
Attributes of the Son:
  • Has Name
  • If we ask anything according to his will, He hears us
  • Given us an understanding

Cross-References:
vs 13 --> Acts 4:12  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
vs 14 --> 1 John 3:2-22  Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
vs 14 --> John 15:16  Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
vs 14-15 --> John 14:13-14  And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
vs 15 --> Matt. 18:19  Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. 
vs 16 --> John 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 
vs 17 --> Psalm 14:2-3  The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 
vs 18 --> John 10:28-30  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one. 
vs 19 --> John 17:6  I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 
vs 20 --> Eph. 1:18-19  The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
vs 20 --> 2 Cor. 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
vs 20 --> Jer. 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
vs 21 --> Psalm 115:4-8  Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not: They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not: They have hands, but they handle not: feet have they, but they walk not: neither speak they through their throat. They that make them are like unto them; so is every one that trusteth in them.


Thoughts

God has given me an understanding - an understanding of Him.
And that's my goal in life - to know God. To experience, to be found in, to understand Him (Phil. 3:8-10).

That's what I am called to glory in - that I understand and know Him! That He is the Lord Who exercises loving kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth, for in these things He delights (Jer. 9:23).

He calls me to trust in Him - He is my help and my shield!
He is mindful of me; He will bless me.
(Psalm 115:11-12)
He cares for me, unlike idols.
Idols are unknowable, un-understandable, un-ginosko-able.

But He has given me an understanding.

I know Him that is true, and I am in Him that is true, even in His Son Jesus Christ.
This is the true God, and eternal life.
(1 John 5:20)



Mini Study - Attributes of God's Names

What are God's Names compared to/described as?
  • Glorious (Deut. 28:58, Psalm 72:19)
  • Fearful (Deut. 28:58)
  • Worthy of glory (1 Chron. 16:29, Psalm 29:2))
  • Excellent (Psalm 8:1, 148:13)
  • Holy (Psalm 33:21, 99:3, 111:9)
  • "Good before thy saints" (Psalm 52:9)
  • Great in Israel (Psalm 76:1)
  • Near (Psalm 75:1)
  • Great and terrible (Psalm 99:3)
  • Our help is in it (Psalm 124:8)
  • Pleasant (Psalm 135:3)
  • Endures forever (Psalm 135:13)
  • A strong tower (Pro. 18:10)
  • Shall be known by His people (Isa. 52:6)
  • Great in might (Jer. 10:6)
  • One (Zec. 14:9)
  • Shall be great among the Gentiles (Mal. 1:11)
What are we to do with God's Names?
  • Not take in vain (Ex. 20:7, Deut. 6:13)
  • Not profane (Lev. 18:21, 19:12)
  • Not swear by it falsely (Lev. 19:12)
  • Swear by it (Deut. 6:13, 10:20, Jer. 12:16)
  • Publish it (Deut. 32:3)
  • Magnify it forever (2 Sam. 7:26)
  • Sing praises unto it (2 Sam. 22:50, Psalm 7:17, 9:2, 18:49, 54:6, 61:8)
  • Call upon it (1 Chron. 16:8)
  • Glory in it (1 Chron. 16:10)
  • Praise it (1 Chron. 29:13, Psalm 44:48, 74:21, 113:3, Isa. 2:5)
  • Set up our banners in it (Psalm 20:5)
  • Remember it (Psalm 20:7, 119:55)
  • Declare it unto brethren (Psalm 22:22)
  • Trust in it (Psalm 33:21, Mat. 12:21)
  • Exalt it (Psalm 34:3)
  • Make it to be remembered in all generations (Psalm 45:17)
  • Wait on it (Psalm 52:9)
  • Fear it (Psalm 61:5)
  • Lift hands up in it (Psalm 63:4)
  • Sing forth the honor of it (Psalm 66:2)
  • Love it (Psalm 69:36
  • Seek it (Psalm 83:16)
  • Rejoice in it (Psalm 89:16)
  • Know it (Psalm 91:14)
  • Bless it (Psalm 96:2, 100:4)
  • Do everything that is done in word or deed in Jesus' name (Col. 3:17)
  • Depart from iniquity - "...Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity" (2 Tim. 2:19)
  • Believe on it (1 John 3:23, 5:13)
    What do God's Names do?
    • Causes Him not the forsake His people (1 Sam. 12:22)
    • Defends us (Psalm 20:1)
    • Causes Him to lead me in the paths of righteousness (Psalm 23:3)
    • Protects the righteous, who run into it (Pro. 18:10)
    • Causes Him to defer His anger (Isa. 48:9)
    • His name, through faith in His name, made "this man" strong (Acts 3:16)
    • Saves - only name whereby we much be saved/makes those who believe in Jesus to receive remission of sins/those who call upon the name of Lord shall be saved (Acts 4:12, Acts 10:43, Rom. 10:13)
    What is pleaded "[for God's name's sake]'?
    • Pardoning of iniquity/purging away of sins (Psalm 25:11, 79:9)
    • Lead me, and guide me (Psalm 31:3)
    • Help (Psalm 79:9)
    • Deliverance (Psalm 79:9)
    • Quickening (Psalm 143:11)
    What is done in the God's name?
    • Jesus comes in His Father's name (John 5:43, 12:31)
    • Jesus does works in His Father's name (John 10:25)
    • Whatever - when asked in Jesus name (John 14:14, 15:16, 16:23)
    • Father will send Holy Spirit in Jesus' name (John 14:26)
    • Our sins are forgiven for His Name's sake (1 John 2:12)
    Other
    • His people and His city are called by His name (Dan. 9:19)
    • Pray: "Hallowed be thy name." (Mat. 6:9, Luke 11:12)
    • "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." (Mat. 10:22)
    • "And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." (Mat. 19:29)
    • "I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word." (John 17:6)
    • At Jesus' name, ever knee shall bow (Phil. 2:10)
    • "And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads." (Rev. 22:4)

    2 comments:

    1. Peace! Thank you soo much for writing these wonderful and encouraging posts. It's exciting to see how God works in our lives through His word. Thank you for all your studying and all the time that you put in these posts. I learned a lot by reading your posts.

      ReplyDelete